Asbestos is a dangerous substance that was once commonly used in buildings. However, it has been shown to cause serious health problems, and as a result, many countries have banned its use.
Unfortunately, asbestos is still present in many schools, posing a severe health risk to students and staff.
What is asbestos, and why is it dangerous?
Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibrous mineral used in various products due to its durability and resistance to heat, electricity, and chemicals. It was once a common building material due to its heat-resistant and fireproof properties.
However, researchers link asbestos exposure to serious health problems, including:
- Lung cancer
- Other cancers of the kidneys, throat, and gastrointestinal tract
- Scarring of your lung lining
Unfortunately, symptoms of asbestos exposure may not appear until years after the initial exposure, making diagnosis and treatment difficult.
As a result of the danger that asbestos poses, OSHA and the EPA highly regulate its use. Despite this, asbestos can still be found in many older schools. It may be present in insulation, flooring tiles, or other materials. In some cases, it may even be present in the structure of the building itself. Many people are exposed to asbestos at some point in their lives without ever realizing it.
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your exposure and receive compensation. If you think you may have been exposed to asbestos, it is important to speak with a legal representative who can help you explore your options and help you secure the benefits to which you are entitled.